“Scarface” is a 1983 crime drama film directed by Brian De Palma and starring Al Pacino as Tony Montana, a Cuban immigrant who rises to power in the Miami drug trade. The film is a cult classic, known for its iconic quotes, violent scenes, and stylish direction. Here are a few Scarface movie facts that you may not have known:
- The film is a remake of the 1932 film of the same name, which starred Paul Muni.
- The film’s screenplay was written by Oliver Stone, who based the character of Tony Montana on real-life drug kingpin Carlos Lehder.
- The film’s production was plagued by numerous setbacks, including the departure of original director Sidney Lumet.
- The film’s famous line “Say hello to my little friend!” was improvised by Al Pacino during filming.
- The film’s notorious chainsaw scene was inspired by a real-life murder case in Miami.
- The film’s iconic poster features a close-up of Al Pacino’s face, with the word “Scarface” in bold letters.
- The film’s original ending was much darker than the final version, with Tony Montana committing suicide instead of going out in a blaze of glory.
- The film was criticized upon release for its glorification of violence and drug use.
- The film’s soundtrack features music by Giorgio Moroder, including the famous theme song “Push It to the Limit.”
- The film’s production design was heavily influenced by the art deco architecture of Miami Beach.
- The film’s cast includes several notable actors, including Michelle Pfeiffer, Steven Bauer, and Robert Loggia.
- The film’s opening scene features a quote from Fidel Castro, spoken by actor Raul Julia.
- The film’s production was delayed due to disputes over the film’s violence and drug use.
- The film’s costume design was influenced by the fashion trends of the early 1980s, including oversized suits and colorful shirts.
- The film’s climactic shootout scene took 21 days to film and involved over 300 extras.
“Scarface” is a legendary crime drama that has endured for decades, thanks to its stylish direction, iconic performances, and quotable dialogue. Despite facing numerous setbacks during production, the film has become a cult classic and a favorite of fans of the crime drama genre. These rare and unknown facts provide insight into the making of this iconic film, highlighting the dedication and talent of its cast and crew. From its memorable quotes to its violent scenes, “Scarface” remains a beloved film that continues to entertain audiences today.